Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hello and Welcome

Hi.
Welcome to my first blog entry. So I suppose I should start by introducing myself. Well as you can see by my blog name I'm Guru Liam mmmhh.. a Guru? Well in the term we use that for, is in relation to the Warrior Art that I do, it's call Pencak Silat and its a Malay Warrior Art. The Guru is the name give to teachers of this art form, and it really means "Guide" for this is what we do, we guide people through difference combat experiences they will have, not only Physical Combat Training, but also corresponding Internal and Spiritiual training . Silat is much more than just standing in front of a bag thumping it. No.. Silat is an artform that develops you in so many ways. Over the next few weeks we will discuss more of that.

I became interested in Silat way back in the 80's when I came a cross an article by a Jak Othman, a Malaysian Teachers, at the time I was training in Karate, but the minute I saw Silat, I felt this is something I want to do. From there, my travels have taken me to Jeet Kune Do, Eskrima, Boxing, Grappling and back to Silat. I also now study Self Defence and Awareness. Some of the teachers that I host seminars in Ireland for or train under are Jak Othman, Glenn Lobo, Bob Breen, Rik Young, Terry Barnett, Krause Brothers, Pat O' Malley, John Harvey, Jude Tucker, Krishna Godhania, Richard De Bordes and my current teacher William Sanders. I've been bless having many great teachers to learn from in the past.

In Eskrima in 1995 I won a European Bronze Medal and taught and train 3 European Gold Medalist. I was the first person on the Island of Ireland to coach an Irish Team and develop them to second place in the European Championships. For the past 10 Years I've been studying
Pukulan Cimande Pusaka which was develop by my teacher Pendekar Sanders. I've have found it to be, one of the most complete Martial Arts been taught anywhere in the World today, and it also cool, need I say more.

So here we are the end of my first blog, with a huge journey in front of us, that I hope we all share.

No comments: