Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What does it mean to wear a Black Belt by Tony Devey


These are my personal thoughts and I am sure are echoed by many. A Black Belt is not what’s around your waist but

!!!! WHO YOU ARE!!!!
Wearing a Black Belt means only that, it’s something you wear. However if your prepared to accept the responsibilities which comes with wearing one only then do you have the right to call yourself a Black Belt.
Some of the responsibilities are
You treat your teachers with the up most respect
You treat your fellow students with the up most respect
You treat the art you are learning with the up most respect
You treat your own students with the up most respect
You lead by example
You leave any form of ego in the past where it belongs
You create a tolerance and patience for those whom strive to get where you are
You continue to train to keep a standard which allows you to earn continued respect from your pears and students alike,
Remember a Black Belt is someone that should be looked up to by everyone and completely respected. You should also remember you have a great deal of power and authority this is something again you have to completely respect. If you’re this person then you have the right to call yourself a Black Belt.
I started Silat many years ago after some time I set myself a goal to step up and train as hard as I could to earn my belt. Its only when I finally got it makes me realise what it actually means to wear one. It’s the start of a new and exciting line of training most certainly not a time to sit back and relax. There’s a joy and pleasure of passing on your knowledge to others. I have been very fortunate in learning from my teacher not only the skills required to qualify but the etiquette needed to stand firm lead by example and earn not only his respect but that of fellow instructors and students.
Remember your Black Belt is only the start for who and what you are. It’s completely up to you, the effort you put in to reach that initial goal the pride and satisfaction has to be sustained and built upon.

Thank you for taking time to read this and I hope it helps your journey in some way.

No comments: